If you are experiencing these vagina problems, visit your gynaecologist now

Vaginal itching is so common in women and can occur due to numerous reasons including hormonal changes, pregnancy, oral contraceptives and even menopause.

A number of things could also contribute to irritation down there, like harsh soaps, washing powder, certain fabrics and infections.

While most genital itching isn’t a major concern and will often get better on its own, there are instances where you should get it checked out.

In fact, you should speak to a doctor or gynaecologist if the itching is severe and persistent.

We caught up with consultant gynaecologist Tania Adib who gave Daily Star Online the low down on the annoying problem.

  • World heading for STI 'epidemic' over Christmas season unprotected sex binge

  • Doctor's advice for those who have unprotected sex at Xmas – after STI 'epidemic' hits

She told Daily Star Online: “A woman’s vagina changes over the years. For example, in your twenties, your vagina and vulva should look well-lubricated and pink.

“Once you have had a child, the outside of the vagina may look different, it can have a more ‘open’ appearance and may feel a bit wider, which is perfectly normal.

“Women may experience bladder weakness following pregnancy, and also during the menopause, due to a weakened pelvic floor.

“As you get to your forties, you may notice your pubic hair has become sparser, and the labia may look looser as the natural fat content decreases due to lowering oestrogen. This is part of the natural ageing process and is nothing to worry about.”

  • Woman, 27, says rare vaginal condition made sex feel like she was being stabbed

Tania advised that there’s no need to see your doctor every time you experience vaginal problem, but it’s good to keep an eye on things.

She continued: “Particularly if you have been diagnosed with a vaginal yeast infection in the past and you’re experiencing similar signs and symptoms.

“However, it is important to speak to your doctor if your symptoms don’t go away or you suspect you may have an underlying condition – they can help diagnose the cause of your pain.”

The bottom line is, if you’re experiencing some itching down there, don’t worry too much.

If the problem is persistent – or comes with other symptoms including abnormal bleeding or pain during sex – you should call your gynaecologist ASAP.

Read More

Sexual health

  • Ladies! Stop steaming your vaginas
  • Women are putting chocolate in vaginas
  • Five things should never touch vagina
  • Men are getting penises whitened

In most instances, it’s a sign that you’re going through hormonal changes and that’s very normal.

But if you’re still itching after a few weeks, it’s best to visit your local GP to talk about it.

Tania Adib is a consultant gynaecologist who specialises in diagnosing and treating all issues.

For more information on vaginal health or leading laser treatment, MonaLisa Touch, visit www.TakeOutThePause.co.uk or to book an appointment with Tania, call The Medical Chambers Kensington on 0207 881 418.

Source: Read Full Article